Cooking Oil and Grease Fires

Cooking fires are the main cause of fires in homes.


Follow these tips to cook safely in your home.
 

Ovens and Stoves

  • Stay in the kitchen while you are cooking – never leave the stove unattended. If you must leave the kitchen, turn off the stove.

  • If you are using the oven, check on the food often.

  • Keep anything that could catch fire away from the stove – this includes oven mitts, wooden utensils, curtains

  • Keep the stove and oven clean – grease or food splatters could catch on fire.

  • Always wear oven mitts when removing food from the oven.

  • Keep children at least 3 feet away from the stove and areas where hot food is prepared or carried

 

Microwaves

  • Microwaves do not heat food evenly. Food cooked in the microwave may feel cool but the inside can be boiling. Always test the temperature of food before eating.

  • Do not warm baby bottles in the microwave – this can burn you or the baby. Heat bottles in a bowl or warm – but not hot or boiling – water.

  • Do not use tin foil or metal in microwaves.

 

Cooking with Oil and Grease

Kitchen fires from grease or cooking oil are fast spreading and destructive.

  • If deep frying food at home, the safest method is using a controlled electric skillet or deep fat fryer.

  • If you are pan frying food, keep a baking tray or pan lid close in case of a fire. The tray or lid can be used to smother a small fire.

 

How to put out small kitchen fires safely

Never move a pot or pan that is on fire. This may make the fire worse.

 

For a small stovetop fire:

  • If the fire is small, slide a pan lid or baking sheet on top of the pan to smother the fire inside and turn off the burner.

  • Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled or the fire could start again.

  • Be careful not to fan the fire with the tray or lid – that would cause the fire to spread.  

 

For an oven fire:

  • Turn off the heat and keep the door closed. Wait until the oven has completely cooled before opening the oven door.

  • Contact Capital Region Housing to let them know there was a fire in the oven so it can be inspected.

 

For a microwave:

  • If there is a fire, keep the microwave door closed and unplug the microwave. Wait until the fire goes out and the microwave cools before throwing it out.

 

If the fire is not small or does not easily goes out:

  • Evacuate your home and get outside

  • Pull the fire alarm to notify your neighbours.

  • If you can, close the door to your home to help stop the fire from spreading.

  • Call 911 immediately from outside your home.  

 

Check out the National Fire Protection Association’s website for more fire safety tips in other languages.