Here are some commonly asked questions from our tenants.

If you have a question about our tenant policies and procedures, there is a good chance that someone else has asked the exact same question. Below is a list of our most frequently asked questions, along with some helpful answers. Take a look at these before you contact us, so that you can get your answer as quickly as possible. If you’re still not sure, call your Site Manager or call our office at any time.

What is a tenant?

The Residential Tenancies Act defines a tenant as:

(i) a person who is permitted by the landlord to occupy residential premises under a residential tenancy agreement, (ii) a person who is permitted to occupy residential premises under an assignment or sublease of a residential tenancy agreement to which the landlord has consented under section 22, and

(iii) an heir, assign or personal representative of a person referred to in subclause (i) or (ii).

For the purposes of tenancies with Capital Region Housing, this means the tenant is the leaseholder(s) as well as any approved occupants.

The members of your household who sign the tenancy agreement (lease) are called “leaseholders” by Capital Region Housing. The leaseholder(s) are responsible for paying rent every month and will be responsible for any damage to their home. Leaseholders can make changes to your tenant file and must follow all tenant rules. If someone is approved to live in your home but has not signed the residential tenancy agreement, Capital Region Housing refers to these household members as “Approved Occupants”. These household members cannot make changes to your tenant file, but these household members must follow all the tenant rules.

What is my tenant code?

Your tenant code (t-code) is a unique identifier for Capital Region Housing tenants and recipient households. It starts with the letter “T”, followed by two zeros and five other numbers (e.g., T001000). Your tenant code will be included in all correspondence you receive from us. Use this code when you contact Capital Region Housing so we can more easily bring up your file.  It will also be helpful if you write your tenant code on any forms or correspondence you send to us.

How and when do I pay my rent?

Rent is due on the first of the month and can be paid via cheque, cash, debit payment, third party payment, or direct deposit; it cannot be paid with credit card.  If your wish to pay your rent via direct deposit, you should contact your financial institution. CRH cannot set up direct deposit for tenants. If you are paying your rent at our office, please bring government-issued photo identification (such as a driver’s license, passport, or permanent resident card). If you are mailing a cheque for your rent payment, please include your name and tenant code (t-code) so that your payment can be linked to your account.  Do NOT mail cash.

What if I lose my key?

If you lose your keys, fobs, or laundry card, you must report it to the Capital Region Housing Maintenance Department or your Site Manager. If after hours, call the After-Hours Emergency Line at 780-420-6161. There will be a cost to replacing it, and there may also be a cost to changing the locks, if necessary. Capital Region Housing charges $10.00 for lost laundry cards, $25.00 for lost keys, and $50.00 for lost security fobs. Tenants may pay this cost in person or add it to their account, except for a lost security fob. Lost security fobs must be paid for at the Capital Region Housing office before receiving a replacement.

How do I refill my laundry card?

Our laundry facilities are managed by Coinamatic. Tenants can search for reload locations for their laundry cards on Coinamatic’s website.

My contact information has changed, what does that mean for me?

Please complete the Change of Contact Information form if your email address or phone number has changed. It’s important to keep Capital Region Housing updated if your contact information changes so we can get in touch with you.

Someone has moved into my household, what does that mean for me?

Please complete the Change of Household Information form. Please submit the new household member’s income information so we can reassess your household eligibility. The new household member cannot be listed on the High-Risk Offenders List.  If the new household member would make the tenant household ineligible, the tenant will be notified that they will have to leave their home. The tenant can then choose not to add the new household member and stay in their home.  If the tenant household is still eligible, they can be added as an approved occupant. The household member must sign the Crime Free Multi Housing Addendum. If the household income changes, the rent will be recalculated. This may change the number of bedrooms the tenant household requires. The Housing Clerk will let the tenant know if they should submit a transfer request.

Someone has moved out of my home, what does that mean for me?

If the household member who moved out was an approved occupant, the leaseholder must submit the Change of Information form. The approved occupant will be removed from the file. The household income will be recalculated and if it changes, the rent will be recalculated.  

If the household member who moved out was a leaseholder, they must submit the Change of Information form and a signed and dated letter stating they are giving up their rights to the unit and the security deposit. The former leaseholder will be removed from the residential tenancy agreement and the file. The household must complete an acceptable transfer inspection.The household must sign a new lease and the As Is Addendum agreeing to accept their current unit as is.  At the time of move out, the security deposit will be given to the remaining leaseholder.

If the former leaseholder does not submit a letter, the remaining leaseholder must notify Capital Region Housing using the Change of Household Information form. The former leaseholder will not be removed from the residential tenancy agreement and in some cases, the former leaseholder can be removed after one annual review cycle with a commissioned affidavit. Contact Capital Region Housing for more information.

If there is only one leaseholder but there are adult occupants who wish to stay, they must be eligible for a transfer [link to transfer info sheet]. If they are eligible, they may sign a new lease and the As Is Addendum agreeing to accept their current unit as is. At the time of move out, the security deposit will be given to the remaining leaseholder.  

Why do I have to submit my income information every year?

Capital Region Housing is required by our grant agreements to verify the income of all tenant households every year to confirm eligibility. Your annual income review must be completed by the anniversary of your tenancy agreement (lease). Find out more about the annual income review process in our information sheet

How can I request a transfer?

If you need to transfer to a different program, building, or home, review the procedures outlined on our Near Market Transfer page

Am I required to have tenants’ insurance?

Tenants are not required but are strongly encouraged to get tenants insurance. Tenants’ insurance protects the tenant (liability coverage) and the tenants’ things (contents insurance) in the case of damage. For more information, review our information sheet on tenants’ insurance here .

I want to let someone else contact Capital Region Housing on my behalf.

Please complete a Consent to Release form . Capital Region Housing cannot disclose any personal information without the leaseholder’s consent. Learn more about confidentiality and FOIP at Capital Region Housing.