We offer subsidized Community Housing homes to make your rent more affordable.

Capital Region Housing provides approximately 4500 homes in the Community Housing program. In this subsidized housing program, tenants pay an affordable rent amount, which is calculated as either 30% of their adjusted gross monthly household income or the core shelter rates if they are receiving Income Support from Alberta Works.

Our Community Housing program is governed by the Alberta Housing Act and its regulations. We are also governed by the Residential Tenancies Act and its regulations. This means that some of our policies are set for us by legislation.

Are you eligible for Community Housing?

In order to be eligible for Community Housing, households must meet certain criteria. These criteria are set out in section 9 of the Social Housing Accommodation Regulation and include:

Core Housing Need (income levels)

A household is eligible when their total annual income (before taxes) is below the Household Income Limits (HILS). HILS is set by the Government of Alberta yearly and is indexed to the number of bedrooms your household needs based on the National Occupancy Standard. 

Enough bedrooms based on the National Occupancy Standard means one bedroom for:

  • each cohabiting adult couple (spouses or adult interdependent partners);

  • each household member 18 years of age and over;

  • each pair of children under age 18 who are the same gender;

  • each pair of children under the age of 5 who are different genders

A household of one individual can occupy a bachelor or studio unit (i.e. a unit with no bedroom). A maximum of two people may occupy a one bedroom. Capital Region Housing must follow the National Occupancy Standard when allocating bedrooms to household to ensure there are enough bedrooms for the household to be adequately housed. 

View 2019 Current Income Thresholds.

Asset Limits

The total value of the household's assets must be less than $25,000.

Included assets include:

  • money in regular bank accounts

  • property owned (such as a house or recreational vehicle).

Exempted assets include:

  • the primary vehicle for a household

  • assets such as RRSPs, RESPs, RDSPs, RRIFs and TFSAs

  • clothing and tools for work purposes

Citizenship requirements

In order to be eligible for Community Housing, all members of a household must have one of the following citizenship statuses:

  • Canadian citizenship,

  • permanent residency (except for those who are under a private sponsorship arrangement), government assisted refugees, or

  • individuals who have applied for refugee or immigration status and private sponsorship has broken down.

Residency Requirement

Capital Region Housing does not have a residency requirement. This means you do not have to live in the Edmonton area for a certain amount of time before applying for housing or rent supplement.

Who makes up my household?

A household is defined in the Social Housing Accommodation Regulation under section 1(1)(i) as: an individual who is applying for or occupying social housing accommodation, including the following, if any:

  • The spouse or adult interdependent partner of the applicant or occupant

  • An individual related by blood, adoption or marriage, or by virtue of an adult interdependent relationship or who is known to have lived regularly as a member of the household as part of the family unit

  • The dependents who are living with the applicant or occupant, including any dependents of whom the applicant or occupant has sole or joint custody

  • a member of the household who is usually a member of the household but is temporarily absent by any reason of:

    • Military service

    • Hospitalization

    • Employment

    • School attendance

    • Other special circumstances  

  • A live-in aide

High Risk Offenders

As of November 1, 2016, Capital Region Housing does not require police information checks for applicants. However, all adult household members shall be checked against Alberta Justice and Solicitor General’s High Risk Offender List. Household members who are on the list are not eligible for Community Housing, Near Market Housing, or Mixed Income Housing, but can still apply for rent supplement programs.


Apply for Community Housing Now

Get the Community Housing Brochure