Here are some commonly asked questions about our application process.

If you have a question about our application process, there is a good chance that someone else has asked the same question!

Below is a list of our most frequently asked questions, along with some helpful answers. Take a look at these before you contact us, so that you can get your answer as quickly as possible to complete your application.

How do I apply for a CRH Program?

To apply for one or more programs at Capital Region Housing, you must complete an application form. For a detailed step-by-step guide, please visit How to Apply.

What information do I need to provide?

For most programs, Capital Region Housing will ask for more personal information than a private landlord.  This is because of the rules set out for eligibility in the Social Housing Accommodation Regulation.  You will need to include proof of income, citizenship status, and any special circumstances included in the application. This information will be required for every person in your household that is included in your application. 

The application form lists all of the information you need to provide. Find more information and the application forms here.

How many bedrooms is my household eligible for?

The number of bedrooms your household needs is determined based on the National Occupancy Standard. This standard requires one bedroom for:

•    each cohabiting adult couple (spouses or adult interdependent partners);
•    each household member 18 years of age and over;
•    each pair of children under age 18 who are the same gender;
•    each pair of children under the age of 5 who are different genders

For example:

  • A household with one or two parents, a 6 year old boy and an 8 year old girl would require a 3 bedroom home.

  • A household with one or two parents, a 4 year old boy and a 3 year old girl would be eligible for a two bedroom home.

  • A household with two parents, an adult child and a minor child would require a 3 bedroom home.

A household of one individual can occupy a bachelor or studio unit (i.e. a unit with no bedroom). A maximum of two people may occupy a one bedroom.  A couple may apply for two bedrooms if it is required for medical reasons. You must include a doctor’s letter in this case.

Capital Region Housing must follow the National Occupancy Standard when allocating bedrooms to household to ensure there are enough bedrooms for the household to be adequately housed.

How do I submit my application once it is completed?

Applicants can submit their application in person at the Capital Region Housing office, via mail, or by fax.

We cannot currently accept emailed applications and we do not currently have on an online application system. Visit this page for our address and contact information.

I have submitted my application; how long will it take for my application to be processed?

Capital Region Housing receives on average 300 applications per month. We process applications as quickly we can, but it may take between 2 and 3 months before we get in touch. To be able to process your application quickly, please submit a complete application with proof of income and citizenship status documents. If your application is incomplete or we require additional information, that will add more processing time.  You may always call our Customer Relations Team at 780-420-6161 to check the status of your application.

What is my applicant code (m-code)?

The applicant code is a unique identifier for CRH applicant households. It starts with an “M”, two zeros and five other numbers (e.g., M001000). Your applicant code will be included in all correspondence you receive from us. Using this code when calling our office, or writing it on documentation and forms you provide will help make it easier to find your file.

What is my place on the waitlist?

Capital Region Housing maintains a priority list rather than a waitlist. This is because under the Social Housing Accommodation Regulation, we offer housing and rent supplements based on priority and not on a first come first served basis.  The only exception to this is the Near Market Rentals.

The priority list is the list of all applicant households in decreasing order, from highest priority (point score) to lowest priority (point score). The priority list can change as applicant’s situation changes or more applicants are added. Capital Region Housing keeps priority lists for each building based on unit size for Community Housing or municipality for the Direct Rent Supplement program. Because the priority list is always shifting, we cannot tell applicants how long they will wait for housing or rent supplement.

What does priority mean?

Priority (point score): the total number of points the applicant has received from the point score process. The higher the number of points an applicant has, the higher priority they are deemed to be. For more information on how the priority list is managed, click here.

The point score process is set out in the Social Housing Accommodation Regulation Schedule A Part 1. For a detailed look at the Point Scoring system, click here.

My income has changed, what do I need to do?

Please complete the Change of Income Information form. It is important to complete this form as soon as there is any change in your income, as it may change your point score and eligibility status.

My household has changed, what do I need to do?

Please complete the Change of Household Information form. This may change your point score and eligibility status and the number of bedrooms your household requires.

My contact information has changed, what do I need to do?

Please complete the Change of Contact Information form. If an applicant has the highest priority and there is an available home or subsidy, we need to be able to contact the applicant. If Capital Region Housing cannot contact an applicant, we may remove their application from the priority list. If mail is returned from the only address we have on file, the application will be cancelled after we try to contact the applicant from all other methods on file

I have moved or my rent has changed, what does that mean for me?

Please complete the Change of Rental Information form. This may change your point score and eligibility status.

I would like my advocate/family member/support worker to help me with my application – do I need to do anything to let you know?

If you are having someone help you complete the forms and make sure you have provided us with all of the required documentation, you do not need to tell Capital Region Housing. If you want the person helping you to be able to contact Capital Region Housing on your behalf to discuss your application, you must complete a Consent to Release form and provide it to Capital Region Housing.  We cannot speak to anyone outside of the household members listed on the application without written permission from you.  This also includes any MLA office or City Councillor’s office that may be helping you.